Medellin is a preferred religious tourist destination
Visiting a number of churches and religious monuments is one of the preferred things to do in Medellin.
The Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores (Our Lady of Sorrows) church is a temple dedicated to the Virgin Mary under the title of Our Lady of Sorrows, located in the La America neighborhood of Medellin and belongs to the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Archdiocese of Medellin.
The building is neo-Byzantine style, its interior rectangular plan is divided into three naves. On October 26th, 1916, the priest Jose Maria Gomez blessed and laid the foundation stone of the present church, located just in front of the chapel built by Rafael Velasquez 30 years before. The construction was gradually achieved with the plans of Belgian architect Agustin Goovaerts. In the beginning they had to overcome great difficulties mainly economic, even having to suspend for a few years. However, more could the strong will of the parishioners and priests who tirelessly fought for the construction of the temple.
Address: Carrera 84 # 44 – 87 – La América neighborhood
Phone: 252 12 67 & 252 13 47
The construction of the temple of Nuestra Senora del Perpetuo Socorro (Our Lady of Perpetual Help) began in 1945 and the Father Diez for some time, along with the board, began to raise money, including through recycling newspapers, bottles and cigarette packets (with the hhelp and hard work of many poor people of the area). As construction was very bulky, its implementation was slow, because the ground was swampy and forced the excavation and the design of deeper foundations.
Much of the work inside the temple and some images and objects thereof, were donations from wealthy families.
In 2002 the facade was intervened as the cement ornaments were crumbling over time. Subsequently, in 2005 it was necessary to redo the entire floor, making appropriate fillers and install new tiling. The central altar and the pulpit were received in donation in 2006, marble works that are the current liturgical reforms.
Address: Calle 35 # 48 – 8
Phones: 232 05 25 & 232 32 25
On March 2nd, 1616, Francisco de Herrera Campuzano commanded to build the town of San Lorenzo de Aburra, which was made in what today is El Poblado, which became a rural area of the town of La Candelaria of Anah, and in December of 1816, created the parish of San Jose del Poblado, belonging to the Diocese of Antioquia.
Made of bricks and cement, the actual temple is Roman style with a single nave and transept Latin cross without dome. The side walls have two columns that form five arches. The windows were made in Cali and its electronic, but tubular, Organ is from the Italian house Tamburini.
Address: Carrera 43 A # 9 – 30
Phones: 268 73 63 – 266 42 46